The mission of the Berks Alliance is to be a community collaborative established to make strategic investments that will enhance the vitality of the Reading Region by supporting significant community revitalization and economic development initiatives.
The Berks Alliance is a broad-community partnership designed to strengthen the community by improving the cleanliness and safety of neighborhoods, advancing economic development, enhancing education, stimulating business and job creation/expansion through a process of Collective Impact.
- Outgrowth of the work of the Mission Leadership Task Force of Reading Health System over the past year
- Examined critical community issues
- One year in development
- Examined leadership models in several cities including Harrisburg, Philadelphia, and Lancaster
- Hosted four community forums with Alvernia University, bringing outside experts to the Berks region
- Identified key areas for leadership and participation
- Reviewed the many studies and initiatives previously begun in Berks
- Identify initiatives which significantly improve quality of life in service area
- Prioritize those initiatives and develop a unified approach to accomplish them
- Improve ability to attract and retain high-caliber staff in the region, at all levels
- Augment each participant's role as a placebased anchor institution
- Identify potential engagement partners
- Pursue creative and innovative approaches to guide community vision and strategy for a common agenda
- Participate in community conversations about Collective Impact to build public will, advance policy, and mobilize funding
- Influence educational attainment and learning/skills outcomes to create jobs
- Engage in mutually-reinforcing activities to reduce waste and capture synergies
- Establish a platform for continuous communication among collaborators and prioritizing critical community issues to provide a strong platform for lobbying government
- Establish shared measurement practices
- Enhance economic development and serve as a catalytic investor
- Establish focused, adaptive, results-oriented community leadership
- Harness the power of community residents and ensure inclusion and diversity
- Support aligned activities for other community organizations while coordinating "assets"